By hacking a WiFi router, an intruder can gain access to computers located in the local network. Or install a script on the router that will execute a predetermined algorithm (DDoS attack, intercepting packets and sending them to a remote server). There are a lot of variants of how a scammer can profit from all this. That is why it is important to monitor the security even of your home router, not to mention the local networks of the commercial sector. And you can use hacking software to test your WiFi against external attacks. All applications reviewed here are legal and are also used by IT security specialists.
And you should remember that hacking someone else's computer, router is a felony. WiFi hacking software should be used for testing, not for making hacking attempts!
Wifi password hacking methods
The most popular WiFi hacking methods used by hackers:
- Brootforce. That is "classic" brute-forcing of passwords by combining combinations in a list or by a range. It is quite effective when the input data is available: the number of characters, only letters or numbers, etc.
- Phishing. The method is based on social engineering. It involves a series of manipulation techniques that force the "victim" (the owner of the equipment) to hand over the access password himself. The user launches a browser, sees the standard router web interface, enters a login, a code and this information is immediately sent to the attacker. Because instead of the web interface the rogue site is actually displayed.
- Hacking via WPS. WPS is a numeric PIN code to quickly connect to the router. It is much easier to crack than the password. And for many router models, the combinations have long been known.
- Hardcracking. Hacking WiFi by intercepting packets and extracting data from them for access. It involves the use of a laptop with specialized software and a WiFi adapter, configured to actively scan the airwaves.
- Hacking via WPA vulnerabilities. Predominantly applies to old routers and those for which software has not been updated since purchase. WPA is a security method to protect access. It is effective, but over time and found a lot of vulnerabilities for it. And with special programs, they allow to extract the password by sending specific packet commands.
Windows WiFi hacking programs
The most efficient and easy to use Windows programs to hack WiFi:
- Kali Linux. A standalone Linux distribution (can be run without a hard drive or in a "virtual" machine), with dozens of programs preinstalled to test WiFi hacking resistance.
- CommView for WiFi. A program for monitoring WiFi airwaves. It extracts all potentially useful information through various vulnerabilities: packets, local network structure, decryption keys, and so on.
- Dumpper. Utility for testing router stability via WPS. Can also be used for PIN matching (via integrated log from public databases).
- Wifislax. Like Kali Linux, is a live distribution that can be run from a USB flash drive. It includes METASPLOIT, as well as a whole set of programs to hack WiFi through all known vulnerabilities.
Apps to hack WiFi on Android
The most effective programs for hacking WiFi on Android are the following:
- WPS Connect. Attempts to connect to the router via WPS (pin-code matching).
- WiFi Warden. It is a program for monitoring WiFi airwaves. Also allows you to pick up WPS pins.
- Kali Nethunter. A software layer that allows you to use Kali Linux utilities directly on your smartphone (via termux terminal emulator). One of the most "powerful" tools for hacking on cell phones.
- WIBR+. A mini-tool for actively bruteforcing passwords.
The technical requirements for running each of these programs are individual. But in most cases the presence of root-right (and unlocked boot loader) is required to have access to the full functionality of the utilities, allowing the use of additional protocols for working with the WiFi-module (for more "in-depth" air scanning).
How to protect your WiFi from hacking
The most important is to use the "fresh" firmware for routers. But using your phone or computer as an access point is not a good solution. They have minimal protection from potential hacking, in contrast to routers.Advanced recommendations:
- Disable WPS. Some routers call this feature QSS. This is done through a web interface.
- Set a strong password. The ideal choice: 9 characters or more, composed of numbers and letters, special characters.
- Set the encryption method WPA2 or WPA3. WEP, in turn, is vulnerable.
- Connect access only for MAC addresses from the "white" list. But you will need to "prescribe" in the settings of each device that will be able to connect to WiFi.
- Regularly update the firmware to the latest version. This can be done directly from the web interface. An average update by a manufacturer is every 3 to 6 months.
In summary, it is virtually impossible for an average user to notice that WiFi has been hacked. So you should worry about security in advance. That is, test the network with special software and configure the router to minimize the risk of unauthorized access.